Quick Links

Main Navigation

Top

School Board Minutes

Sign up for the News Update.

Sub Navigation

Top

Headlines

Home > breadcrumbs: School Board > breadcrumbs: School Board Minutes >

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

March 7, 2019 School Board Minutes

March 20, 2019

The Northwood-Kensett Board of Directors met in a Regular Meeting on Thursday, March 7, 2019 in the Elementary Media Center at 7:00 P.M.

Members present: John Anderson; Cindy Pangburn; Susan Kliment; Larry Hovey; Roger Harris; Members Absent: none

(5-0) Approved the agenda; February 14th board minutes; Financial Reports for February; March bills for payment

Public Comments: 

Dennis Paulson, Clif Davis, Chad Tiedemann, Darrin Kliment, Susan Kliment (parent role) addressed the board in support of making no changes to the wrestling program

President Hovey opened the public hearing for Revision of 2018-2019 School Calendar at 7:02 pm

Comments: Supt Crozier gave an update on hours missed to date, hours that will be made up, total hours of revised calendar.  No public comments received.

Public hearing closed at 7:03 pm

Reports

Elementary Principal:  1) P/T Conferences March 5 and 7  2) Andy Grudhovd & Dirk Van Ryswyk gave a presentation on snow plow safety March 5 and 6  3) New Iowa Assessments scheduled for March 18-29  4) Thank you to Dr. Seuss readers

Secondary Principal:  1) P/T conference attendance 63%  2) Prom April 27, theme Enchanted Sea  3) Course registration for 2019-20 will begin end of March; no new courses; exploring options for 8th grade vocational offerings

Superintendent: 1) Missed 82.4 student contact hours; revised calendar will make up 34 hours and give us total of 1095.9 hours  2)  Budget and Tax presentation for 2019-2020  3) Health insurance rates increased 9.38%; looking into partially self-funding to higher deductible with no change to employee coverage

Board:  1) Next Regular Board Meeting schedule for April 11; May 9 meeting will need to be rescheduled (hosting district track meet)   2) Financial Update on the bond projects  3) Conference Board Member, John Anderson, informed the board that there is a bill in the legislature that would make the County Assessor an elected position.  Concern that this would cause a high turnover in this position.  Also noted that assessed property values will be increasing in order to comply with state statutory limits 

New Business

(5-0) Approved the revision of the 2018-2019 calendar as presented by Mr. Crozier

(5-0) Authorized publishing the budget for the 2019-20 school year in the Northwood Anchor and set a budget hearing for April 11, 2019 at 7:00 pm in the Elementary Media Center

(5-0) Approved a Resolution for Budget Guarantee for Fiscal Year 2020, that the Board of Directors of the Northwood-Kensett Community School District will levy property taxes for fiscal year 2019-2020 for the regular program adjustment as allowed under section 257.14 Code of Iowa

(5-0) Approved cooperative agreement for pre-service clinical placement with the University of Northern Iowa

(5-0) Approved entering into a sharing activities agreement for high school soccer with Mason City Community Schools

(5-0) Approved the low bid for the purchase of a new maintenance truck from Pritchard’s Motors of Forest City for the amount of $27,500

(5-0) Approved the audit report for the fiscal year 2018 as presented by Ms Athey

(5-0) Approved the review of the 800 and 900 board policy series

(5-0) Approved the First Reading of policy changes to: 505.9 Parent and Family Engagement Policy; 204 Code of Ethics; 504.3 Student Publications; 504.3R1 Student Publications Code; 906.1 Community Use of School District Buildings, Sites, Equipment; 906.1R2 Fees for Use of School District Facilities;

Addition of policy: 505.9R1 Parent and Family Engagement Building-Level Regulation; 401.11 Limitations to Employment References

Deletion of policy:  906.2 Smoke Free Environment

(5-0) Approved the contract with Atura Architecture for architect services for the secondary library remodel

(5-0) Approved Hovey’s Lawn & Garden as independent contractor for Grounds Maintenance and Upkeep in the amount of $20,000 for the time beginning April 1, 2019 through November 30, 2019

Discussion on 2019-2020 Wrestling Program was held and public comments were received. Board wishes to obtain more information regarding the program.

Board took a short break at 8:30 pm and resumed the meeting at 8:38

(5-0) Entered into closed session at 8:38 pm under Iowa Code Chapter 21.5 (1)(i) for Superintendent Evaluation

(5-0) Came out of closed session at 9:08 pm

(5-0) Adjourned the meeting at 9:09 pm

Back To Top